With campus closures across North America, educators are moving quickly to find innovative ways to adapt to this new environment and begin delivering their course content remotely.
To assist you in understanding Top Hat’s capabilities and the steps involved in enabling course materials and student exams for remote delivery, we have assembled a number of resources. These include support videos, live and recorded webinars and written content to guide you through the process of understanding, planning and implementing Top Hat for your courses.
We will continue to add new resources and encourage you to bookmark this page to stay up to date.
Live Daily Webinars
Our Customer Success Team is hosting live daily webinars to both introduce and get you started teaching remotely with Top Hat. We are also hosting “office hours” to give you the chance to ask our resident experts any questions you have.
- Office hours (2 pm (EST) Zoom Meeting)
- Proctored Online Evaluations with Top Hat
- Teaching Remotely with Top Hat
- Remote Testing with Top Hat
Here are two in-depth videos to guide you through the process of preparing course content for remote delivery through Top Hat.
- Setting Up a Synchronous Online Class in Top Hat – Synchronous learning occurs live and in real time supported by video conferencing solutions like Zoom. Learn how to set up a synchronous course in Top Hat and how to replicate many of the experiences common to an in-person classroom.
- Setting up an Asynchronous Online Class in Top Hat – Asynchronous learning allows students to explore topics in depth on their own schedule and at their own pace. Learn how to create an asynchronous course, share course material and engage students in remote, self-paced learning using the Top Hat platform.
Access comprehensive written resources to guide you step-by-step through the process of using Top Hat to deliver remote learning, content, exams and host virtual office hours.
- Teaching Online: Synchronous & Asynchronous Lectures – Learn how to record lectures, livestream presentations, take attendance, use discussion threads, create assignments and share materials with students.
- Teaching Online: Tests & Exams – Learn how to create a test or exam with embedded interactive resources, use our concierge service to convert existing tests and exams and schedule assessments to close on a specified date using the Top Hat platform.
- Teaching Online: Labs – Learn how to livestream your lab while launching real time attendance and questions, create engaging and accessible lab assignments and set up multiple sections with specific lab leaders.
- Teaching Online: Virtual Office Hours – Learn how to open a discussion thread to capture student questions, prioritize questions based on popularity and deliver resources and assessments based on what students are asking and where they are struggling.
- Teaching Online: FAQs for Remotely Proctored Testing – Learn more about administering a remotely proctored test in Top Hat, including information about accessibility, privacy, and grading.
- Remote Teaching: When and How to Use Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Methods – Every course and educator is different. Consider your learning objectives, your students and the merits of each method to guide your approach.
- Embracing Online Teaching During the COVID-19 Pandemic – Learn how four instructors are keeping students on track using remote learning environments.
- 7 Ways for Professors to Manage the Transition to Online Teaching During COVID-19 – Learn how to set yourself up for success teaching college students in an online learning environment.
- 5 Free Tools for Remote Teaching – A list of complementary tools to create the optimal learning environment for your students.
- Remote Teaching Tips for Professors – Humanity and empathy, a healthy work-life balance and prioritizing students’ voices can make for a seamless transition to remote course delivery.
- Lessons From Almost 20 Years of Online Teaching – This mathematics professor has taught remotely for 19 years – and has some wisdom to share.
- Video: How One Professor Uses Top Hat for Remote Teaching – For Bellevue College’s Eric Davis and his students, Top Hat has provided a seamless transition to online teaching.
- How Top Hat Keeps Your Students Engaged in a Remote Learning Environment – There are a number of ways for instructors to ensure remote learners stay up to date with course content—no matter where and when they learn.
- How Top Hat Supports Different Approaches to Summative Assessments – Top Hat offers two types of remote summative assessments that are flexible and customizable to accommodate online learning.
- 5 Essential Strategies for Creating Collaborative Remote Classrooms – Help your students work together while learning online in a remote teaching environment.
- How to Use Active Learning in an Online Lecture – Higher ed institutions have embraced remote teaching environments—and active learning is now more important than ever.
- How In-Person Class Cancellations Are Affecting Higher Ed Students – Five college students share their experience with campus closures and the unexpected transition to remote learning.
- Top Tips to Help College Students Succeed in Their Remote Tests – Practice quizzes, flexibility in testing times and structured study sessions can help prepare higher ed students for this new wave of testing.
- The Complete Guide to Effective Online Teaching – Set yourself up for success in teaching online courses by ensuring continuity and continuing empathy for your students.
- 6 Tips for Thriving in the Virtual Classroom with Top Hat – Creating an active learning environment has never been more essential. Here’s how Top Hat can help you engage higher ed students remotely.
Top Hat Offerings
For a complete overview of Top Hat’s end-to-end digital platform for teaching blended and fully online courses, please follow the link.