Lead Author(s): Openstax Content
Student Price: FREE
This question pack looks at the sociological approach to religion, religions around the world, and religion in the USA.
This content is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
1. In what ways does religion serve the role of a social institution?
Religions have a complex and integrated set of norms.
Religious practices and beliefs are related to societal values.
Religions often meet several basic needs.
All of the above
2. A cultural universal is something that:
addresses all aspects of a group’s behavior
is found in all cultures
is based on social norms
may or may not be of value in meeting social needs
3. Which of the main theoretical perspectives would approach religion from the micro-level, studying how religion impacts an individual’s sense of support and well-being?
4. Which perspective most emphasizes the ways in which religion helps to keep the social system running smoothly?
Symbolic interactionist perspective
5. Which socialist perspective most emphasizes the ways in which religion helps to maintain social inequalities within a society?
6. Which of the following do the functionalist and conflict perspectives share?
Position that religion relates to social control, enforcing social norms
Emphasis on religion as providing social support
Belief that religion helps explain the mysteries of life
None of the above
7. The Protestant work ethic was viewed in terms of its relationship to:
evolution and natural selection
prejudice and discrimination
8. What are some denominations of the Christian Protestant church?
Catholic and Jewish
Jehovah’s Witnesses and Presbyterians
Scientology and Hare Krishna
Methodist and Seventh-day Adventist
9. A sect:
has generally grown so large that it needs new buildings and multiple leaders
often believes it must split from the larger group to return to important fundamentals
is another term for a cult
All of the above
10. The main difference between an ecclesia and a denomination is:
the number of followers or believers is much larger for denominations
the geographical location varies for ecclesia versus denominations
ecclesia are state-sponsored and considered an official religion
there are no important differences; the terms are interchangeable
11. Some controversial groups that may be mislabeled as cults include:
Scientology and the Hare Krishna
the Peoples Temple and Heaven’s Gate
the Branch Davidians and the Manson Family
Quakers and Pentecostals
12. In what part of the world have Confucianism and Taoism been primarily practiced?
The Middle East
13. Many stories in the sacred text of Judaism are:
referred to as the Apocrypha
oral traditions only because Judaism has no sacred text
shared by Christianity and Islam
no longer part of the Torah
14. What do Christianity and Islam have in common?
Both believe in a single supreme God.
Both share many of the same stories in their central religious texts.
Both believe in an afterlife.
All of the above
15. Social scientists refer to the use of a church to combat social injustice in the political realm as:
the protestant work ethic
15. Megachurches tend to have:
a variety of male and female clergy
numerous buildings in which to meet
high attendance for only a limited time
large arenas where services are held
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The OpenStax name, OpenStax logo, OpenStax book covers, OpenStax CNX name, and OpenStax CNX logo are not subject to the creative commons license and may not be reproduced without the prior and express written consent of Rice University.For questions regarding this license, please contact email@example.com.