Marriage and Family
Lead Author(s): Openstax Content
Student Price: FREE
This question pack looks to define marriage and the family, examine variations in family life, as well as challenges facing the family.
This content is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
1. Sociologists tend to define family in terms of
how a given society sanctions the relationships of people who are connected through blood, marriage, or adoption
the connection of bloodlines
the status roles that exist in a family structure
how closely members adhere to social norms
2. Research suggests that people generally feel that their current family is _______ than the family they grew up with.
at least as close
none of the above
3. A woman being married to two men would be an example of:
4. A child who associates his line of descent with his father’s side only is part of a _______ society.
5. Which of the following is a criticism of the family life cycle model?
It is too broad and accounts for too many aspects of family.
It is too narrowly focused on a sequence of stages.
It does not serve a practical purpose for studying family behavior.
It is not based on comprehensive research.
6. The majority of American children live in:
7. According to the study cited from the U.S. Census Bureau, children who live with _______ grow up with more advantages than children who live with _______.
one unwed parent; one divorced parent
one divorced parent; two married parents
one grandparent; two married parents
one divorced parent; one unwed parent
8. Couples who cohabitate before marriage are _______ couples who did not cohabitate before marriage to be married at least 10 years.
far more likely than
far less likely than
slightly less likely than
equally as likely as
9. Same-sex couple households account for _______ percent of American households.
10. The median age of first marriage has _______ in the last 50 years.
increased for men but not women
decreased for men but not women
increased for both men and women
decreased for both men and women
11. Current divorce rates are:
at an all-time high
at an all-time low
12. Children of divorced parents are _______ to divorce in their own marriage than children of parents who stayed married.
13. In general, children in _______ households benefit from divorce.
14. Which of the following is true of intimate partner violence (IPV)?
IPV victims are more frequently men than women.
One in ten women is a victim of IPV.
Nearly half of instances of IPV involve drugs or alcohol.
Rape is the most common form of IPV.
15. Which type of child abuse is most prevalent in the United States?
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The OpenStax name, OpenStax logo, OpenStax book covers, OpenStax CNX name, and OpenStax CNX logo are not subject to the creative commons license and may not be reproduced without the prior and express written consent of Rice University.For questions regarding this license, please contact email@example.com.