Government and Politics
Lead Author(s): Openstax Content
Student Price: FREE
This question pack looks at power and authority, forms of government, and politics in the USA in a sociological context.
This content is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
1. Which statement best expresses the difference between power and authority?
Authority involves intimidation.
Authority is more subtle than power.
Authority is based on the perceived legitimacy of the individual in power.
Authority is inherited, but power is seized by military force.
2. Which of the following types of authority does not reside primarily in a leader?
3. In the U.S. Senate, it is customary to assign each senator a seniority ranking based on years of government service and the population of the state he or she represents. A top ranking gives the senator priority for assignments to office space, committee chair positions, and seating on the senate floor. What type of authority does this example best illustrate?
4. Malcolm X used his public speaking abilities and magnetism to inspire African Americans to stand up against injustice in an extremely hostile environment. He is an example of a(n) _________________. leader.
5. Which current world figure has the least amount of political power?
President Barack Obama
Queen Elizabeth II
British Prime Minister David Cameron
North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un
6. Which statement best expresses why there have been so few charismatic female leaders throughout history?
Women have different leadership styles than men
Women are not interested in leading at all.
Few women have had the opportunity to hold leadership roles over the courseof history.
Male historians have refused to acknowledge the contributions of femaleleaders in their records.
7. Many constitutional monarchies started out as:
Which nation is an absolute monarchy?
Which of the following present and former government leaders is generally considered a dictator?
Qaboos bin Said Al Said
A(n) _________________. is an extremely oppressive government that seeks to control all aspects of its citizens’ lives
Which is not a characteristic of a democracy?
People vote to elect officials.
A king or queen holds the majority of governmental control.
One goal of this type of government is to protect citizens’ basic rights.
A constitution typically outlines the foundational ideas of how this government should operate.
Which statement best expresses why the United States is not a “true” democracy?
Many politicians are corrupt.
Special-interest groups fund political campaigns.
Citizens elect representatives who vote on their behalf to make policy.
Ancient Greece was the only true democracy.
13. In the past, Southern states discouraged African Americans from voting by requiring them to take a _________________. test.
14. Which president signed the Voting Rights Act?
John F. Kennedy Jr.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
15. Which factor does not influence voting practices?
16. The U.S. Supreme Court case _________________. led to the revision of voting districts to account for differences in population density.
Roe v. Wade
Reynolds v. Sims
Brown v. Board of Education
Marbury v. Madison
17. Which statement best explains the meaning of “one person, one vote”?
One person should not be allowed to vote twice.
A voter deserves one chance to vote.
A voter should vote only once a year.
Each voter’s vote should count equally.
18. Which concept corresponds best to functionalism?
19. Which sociologist is not associated with conflict theory?
C. Wright Mills
G. William Domhoff
George H. Mead
20. Karl Marx believed social structures evolve out of:
supply and demand
21. The Arab Spring, Occupy Wall Street protests, and the Tea Party movement have the following in common:
They sought to destroy central government.
They are examples of conflict theory in action.
They can only occur in a representative democracy.
They used violence as the means of achieving their goals.
22. Which is not one of functionalism’s four main purposes of government?
Maintaining law and order
Meeting social needs
Equally distributing resources
Planning and directing society
23. Sociologist G. William Domhoff’s Who Rules America? asserts that wealth is often necessary to exert the most influence over social and political systems. This is a _________ perspective.
24. Which of the following paradigms would consider movements such as Occupy Wall Street undesirable and unnecessarily forcing social change?
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The OpenStax name, OpenStax logo, OpenStax book covers, OpenStax CNX name, and OpenStax CNX logo are not subject to the creative commons license and may not be reproduced without the prior and express written consent of Rice University.For questions regarding this license, please contact email@example.com.