Aging and the Elderly
Lead Author(s): Openstax Content
Student Price: FREE
This question pack looks at who the "elderly" are, the process of aging, challenges facing the elderly, and theories on aging.
This content is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
1. In most countries, elderly women ______ than elderly men.
are mistreated less
live a few years longer
suffer fewer health problems
deal with issues of aging better
2. America’s baby boomer generation has contributed to all of the following except:
Social Security’s vulnerability
improved medical technology
Medicaid being in danger of going bankrupt
rising Medicare budgets
3. The measure that compares the number of men to women in a population is ______.
4. The “graying of the United States” refers to ______.
the increasing percentage of the population over 65
faster aging due to stress
dissatisfaction with retirement plans
increased health problems such as Alzheimer’s
5. What is the approximate median age of the United States?
6. Thanatology is the study of ______.
death and dying
7. In Erik Erikson’s developmental stages of life, with which challenge must older people struggle?
Overcoming despair to achieve integrity
Overcoming role confusion to achieve identity
Overcoming isolation to achieve intimacy
Overcoming shame to achieve autonomy
8. Who wrote the book On Death and Dying, outlining the five stages of grief?
9. For individual people of a certain culture, the life course is ______.
the average age they will die
the lessons they must learn
the length of a typical bereavement period
the typical sequence of events in their lives
10. In the United States, life expectancy rates in recent decades have ______.
continued to gradually rise
gone up and down due to global issues such as military conflicts
lowered as health care improves
stayed the same since the mid-1960s
11. Today in the United States the poverty rate of the elderly is ______.
lower than at any point in history
the same as that of the general population
12. Which action reflects ageism?
Enabling WWII veterans to visit war memorials
Speaking slowly and loudly when talking to someone over age 65
Believing that older people drive too slowly
Living in a culture where elders are respected
13. Which factor most increases the risk of an elderly person suffering mistreatment?
Bereavement due to widowhood
Having been abusive as a younger adult
Being frail to the point of dependency on care
The ability to bestow a large inheritance on survivors
14. If elderly people suffer abuse, it is most often perpetrated by ______.
15. Veterans are two to four times more likely to ______ as people who did not serve in the military.
be a victim of elder abuse
be concerned about financial stresses
be abusive toward care providers
16. Which assertion about aging in men would be made by a sociologist following the functionalist perspective?
Men view balding as representative of a loss of strength
Men tend to have better retirement plans than women.
Men have life expectancies three to five years shorter than women.
Men who remain active after retirement play supportive community roles.
17. An older woman retires and completely changes her life. She is no longer raising children or working. However, she joins the YWCA to swim every day. She serves on the Friends of the Library board. She is part of a neighborhood group that plays Bunco on Saturday nights. Her situation most closely illustrates the ______ theory.
18. An older man retires from his job, stops golfing, and cancels his newspaper subscription. After his wife dies, he lives alone, loses touch with his children, and stops seeing old friends. His situation most closely illustrates the ______ theory.
19. What is the primary driver of modernization theory?
20. The Age Discrimination in Employment Act counteracts which theory?
Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The OpenStax name, OpenStax logo, OpenStax book covers, OpenStax CNX name, and OpenStax CNX logo are not subject to the creative commons license and may not be reproduced without the prior and express written consent of Rice University.For questions regarding this license, please contact email@example.com.